Friday, April 27, 2012

X is For Xray, Xylophone, Xena-Transplant Labs and...


X is For X-ray, Xylophone, Xeno Transplant lab, Xhosa Tribe and Skull Music or Diamonds, Death and Deceit.

Skull Music, the mystery suspense novel began as a writing prompt including an x-ray of a skull, a tape cassette with a weird sound, and a dolphin. The x-ray became the key that unlocked the story for me…I have no idea how I found or concocted the xeno-transplant lab.

Any word could be a trigger. Who would think a xylophone might be?  Orchestrated Murders, [A Works In Progress] a whole, life-sized orchestra suspended from a real museum ceiling with life sized mannequins—or are they mannequins? The sight sparked an amazing story for me that is still unraveling.
An old Piano, an even older theatre, a piano man and his cast came from a man's face in a piece of wood-grain wall paneling where I lived one cold lonely winter, his image haunted me until he became a character in Ghost Music of Vaudeville and I changed his name to Piano Man.

Give me a word or three and I'll give you a mystery, because that is what I do, that is my livelihood and my life.

My mother's penchant for a quote or saying to fit every occasion created many stories for me. When she told me her grandfather, who I never knew, always began his story telling with "Back when Tag was a pup and turkeys chewed tobacco..." That became the thread that created Watch ForThe Raven  in a practically non-stop writing marathon.
She died before I got it finished. Matter of fact she died before I finished any of my thirty some books, having never read a one or even knowing I was writing for publication.

If you want to be a writer watch for a phrase, a word, a picture that strikes a note. Jot it down and at your next opportunity examine it with x-ray vision. What can it say to you? Write that story, write it now!

Read with a writer's eye. Take that first sentence, make it yours and write its story. X-ray, Xylophone, Zanadu.



P.S. Sign up for The Mystery Readers Connection today and get the free flash fiction story "Black Roses."
Recommend a friend sign up and when they do you will receive a copy of the flash fiction mystery "The Hanging Tree."   Hurry sign up today you don't want to miss a single fact, and entertainment packed issue of The Mystery Readers Connection. Once a month, in your in box, several columnists, several new (to you) authors join us to present their unique look at mystery and story.
There is a safe unsubscribe link in every newsletter so you never have to stay (though we hope you will) if you don't want to. Hurry – get your name in quickly! You won't want to miss a single issue.



3 comments:

Donna McDine said...

Hello Billie:

Terrific post! What a creative way to create a story. Brainstorming as few as three words can certainly create in intriguing story!

All the best,
Donna

Unknown said...

Thanks Donna, appreciate you stopping by and your comments. Amazing what a little brainstorming can do = )
Billie

Beth Lapin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.