Saturday, November 1, 2008

Perserverence What is it? Why bother?


Today is the first day of NaNoWriMo - yup I signed up again this year and then I wonder when will I find the time to do that too. Then I read something about Michael Crichton -- he is the author who won the Emmy and Peabody Awards. He is the author of ER and other television serials. He has sold over 100 million copies of his books in 30 languages, He directed 7 films of the 12 of his books that were made into movies. Remember Jurassic Park and Twister Westworld--those where him - books and director - there were others. He is the only person to have the number one book, movie and television show in the U.S. all at the same time. What does he have that I am missing - well, I know his books are fantastic. *sigh* He says, "Books aren't written--they're rewritten..." Guess I haven't put in enough time at the rewrite stage yet.

The publishing industry is full of examples of those who succeeded. Rarely will you find an overnight success - not even JK Rowlings was an overnight success. I guess that's why I read biographies to find out how they did it. It all boils down to never giving up.

Michelangelo - 4 years on his back to paint the Sistine chapel or
Roosevelt coming back from debilitating polio,
Japan's Shun Fujimoto landing a perfect triple, somersault-twist dismount from the rings to win a gold metal --he landed on a broken right knee (broken earlier in a floor exercise)but he knew to win the gold he needed to participate.
According to Michael Jordon, you have to be willing to be "the first one on the floor and the last one off," when all your teammates have gone home or are out for the evening having a good time - you need to be practicing, working, practicing to make the grade. "Fake it until you make it," but work, work, work until you do...I guess that is really the only way.
So I'll see you at the wall, I'm off to work. I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Have a productive day!
Billie

No comments: